top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Hopefully the below FAQ's may address some of the queries you have regarding soccer scholarships and becoming a student athlete. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you are unable to find an answer here! 

  • When should I start the US College recruiting process / what age should I sign up?
    From the start, we always say to our players that we will never put any deadlines in place when it comes to making a decision, you need to make sure that it is 100% what you want to do and you need to be comfortable with that decision. It is also worth considering that the longer that you are working with us, the more opportunities you will get to play in showcase events and be seen by coaches from an early age. Most families like to get their GCSE results before making the commitment but we usually say 1-2 years is the ideal time for us to be working with a player before they embark on their student athlete journey. With this in mind, we have players attending our trial events from age 14+. We have helped players later than this (even less than 6 months) who have gone on to be successful student athletes but the longer you leave it, the less opportunities there will be to find the best possible fit.
  • How can go 2 college soccer help me?
    As former student athletes, we have been through the recruitment process and experience before. We can now guide you and your families through each stage. Our extensive service ensures that our student athletes receive the help and advice that they need every step of the way. We work hard for our players to generate as many opportunities for them as possible.
  • What is a 100% scholarship or "full ride"?
    A full scholarship can cover your tuition fees, accommodation, food, books, and everything related to your sport. However, scholarships are usually offered on a percentage basis, from 0 – 100% and can have a combination of academic and athletic funding. Only a coach or athletic director can decide how much scholarship money will be offered.
  • Is a U.S. degree equal to a UK degree?
    According to the world university rankings compiled by the Times Higher Education, more than half of the world’s top 200 universities are located in the USA. There are several types of degree programs in the US: Associates, Bachelors, Masters, PhD, all of which are all globally recognised qualifications.
  • Will I receive academic support in the US?
    There is a reason why student comes first in ‘student athlete’, you have to work hard in the classroom and you will come out with an internationally recognised degree at the end of your student athlete experience. When you arrive in America you will be given an educational advisor at the college/university that you have chosen who will help you with scheduling classes to make sure they don’t clash with soccer practice. They will also be there if you need any help or advice along the way. During the Fall season, you may miss classes due to away trips which is understandable. Study Hall is usually used by the athletic department each week to help players with any work they might be behind in.
  • How much is the average college financial contribution?
    We do not control the offers that schools will make to you, but factors such as playing ability, coaches' team requirements and academics will all be taken into consideration when it comes to receiving offers. The location of the school might also be a factor as with anywhere you go, the cost of living in some places will be more than others. The average cost to the player and their family for housing, tuition and food normally falls around the £6k - £7k mark. This compares favourably with the cost of higher education in the UK, where he accommodation cost alone can be in excess of £7k. As a company we will always strive to work our hardest to get below this, but it gives you a good idea of what might be left to pay. Some schools do have the option of adding academic scholarship alongside a soccer scholarship so it is really important that you work hard in school before you start your student athlete journey.
  • What can I study?
    Just like university here in the U.K, you will be able to study from a wide range of options and just because you are a student athlete, it doesn’t mean that you have to study something sport based. One of the brilliant things about the educational system in America is that they have great flexibility. You don’t even need to know what you want to study when you arrive in America and have the opportunity to try a few subjects before making that decision.
  • What other costs need to be taken into account?
    Before you leave for the USA for the first time, there are some one-off costs that you should be aware of throughout the process. Below is a breakdown of these costs which might apply: - SAT Test $101 or ACT Test $150 - Visa Application Fee (MRV Fee) $160 - Visa SEVIS Fee (Visa admin fee) $350 - Grade Evaluation Fee (Not applicable at every school) $150 - $250 - Player Eligibility License (needed in NCAA D1 & NCAA D2 and NAIA) $130 The two other costs to take into consideration on a yearly basis are: - Flights - Insurance
  • How important are my academics?
    Your academics are extremely important. We would all love the opportunity to play soccer as a professional but in reality, this might only happen for a small percentage of players. The great thing about going to America as a student athlete is the balance of studies and playing soccer. You must keep a certain grade point average (GPA – the American grading system) when you are at university in America to keep your scholarship so it is vital you work hard in the classroom. You will then come out with an internationally recognised degree at the end of your time as a student athlete which you can use for the rest of your life.
  • Why are some US universities referred to as colleges?
    US University is often referred to as ‘college’ and follows on after high school or secondary school. It is important to remember that a college is not a high school or post 16 as it is sometimes referred to in the U.K. A two-year college in America (usually referred to as Junior College or Community College) offers a 2-year associates degree. A four-year university or college offers a bachelors degree and these are known as ‘undergraduate’ schools. If a player decides to go to Junior College for their first two years in America, they can then transfer to a 4-year school to complete their final two years. A lot of university students in America prefer to use the word college rather than university. Phrases such as a ‘college degree’ and ‘going to college’ are synonymous with 'university degree' and 'going to university'.
bottom of page